Tuesday, May 15, 2007

6 Days in Hinckley; 18 hours in a van

Now I sit awake at 4am in Nashville. We left MN yesterday at 9am. What fun it is to be on the road! It was a rough start, with 40 mph cross winds in Iowa we drifted across the lanes with ease. I spent this frightful morning curled up in my sleeping bag, head phones in, and asleep. I now fill that air travel may not be as scary as I once thought. And I know it’s a hell of a lot faster. And the best part is, I don’t known many captains who forget to pay for gas and back track 1.5 hours to settle up. Thanks for the story Mickey! But alas we are home safe, at least someone’s home.
As for the first week of gigs; Im not sure I am being paid enough. Seeing that we performed a total of 42 hours in 6 days, and traveled, practiced, and waited for the remaining 102. Im not sure it adds up to minimum wage. However, it is a labor of love and ya gotta pay your dues. Some of which find there way to the blackjack table, and others to a 25 cent slot machine. All in all I only lost about $6. So rent shouldn't be a problem.
I think the band is ready for Europe now. The tunes are getting tight, and with all the time spent together in the van, we are beginning to read each other well. And most importantly, we will not be playing such grueling hours over yonder. So the shows should be excellent, lets just hope there are crowds...
I will try and get some pictures up by thurs. And perhaps even a sound clip. Keep yo fingers crossed!
Till then I will be roaming the streets of Nashville in search of last min gear additions. I would like to add a new tail piece and nut to the Waterstone and maybe even do some laundry. But Im getting ahead of my self. One step at a time....baby steps.

No comments: